Posted on Nov 20, 2020
YWCA Toronto transforms lives. As the city’s largest multi-service women’s organization, we help women escape violence,
move out of poverty and access safe, affordable housing. We work tenaciously to break down barriers that hold women back
from achieving equality.
Internal and External Job Posting
Administrative, Volunteers and Gift-In-Kind Officer
JOB ID: PHIL0380
Employment Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Work Hours: 35 hours per week (may be required to work some evenings and weekends)
Salary: $47,878 annually (Level 5), plus comprehensive benefits
Location: 87 Elm Street, Toronto, ON
Internal Application Deadline: Wednesday, November 25, 2020
External Application Deadline: Friday, November 27, 2020
JOIN OUR TEAM
YWCA Toronto strives to uphold anti-discrimination practices and anti-oppression principles to ensure that the rights of all
individuals are respected and protected. We work to promote a climate that is welcoming of all women and individuals who
identify as trans, intersex, non-binary, agender, and/or Two-Spirit. We encourage applications from women and gender
diverse people from all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
The Administrative, Volunteers and Gift-In-Kind officer is responsible for providing administrative support to the
Director of Philanthropy and Philanthropy Managers and assist with departmental events, and administration. They are also
responsible for the overall management of individual volunteers, student placements and gift-in-kind programs. This
includes the recruitment, screening, tracking, evaluation orientation, coordination, support and recognition of Association
individual volunteers and students. This position also solicits and distributes in-kind donations and provides support to the
Philanthropy department in the gift administration process.
ABOUT YWCA TORONTO
YWCA Toronto is dedicated to improving the lives of women and girls. Our programs promote equality, economic security
and lives free from violence. We help women and girls flee violence, secure housing, find jobs, establish their voices, enhance
skills and develop confidence. We offer a range of housing options, employment and training programs, community support
programs, girls’ programs and family programs. We also engage in systemic advocacy.
• Provides administrative support to the Director of Philanthropy and Philanthropy Managers and carries out other
general office administrative duties;
• Provides administrative and database support for major gift campaigns;
• Responsible for departmental records management, which includes maintaining filing systems, developing procedures
and criteria for archiving and disposal and completing an ongoing evaluation of such systems;
• Implements, updates and maintains the Association-wide individual volunteers and student placement programs;
• Collaborates with Program Managers and front-line staff to design new volunteer roles that are appropriate for
volunteers, support the mission, and adhere to collective agreements;
• Liaises with post-secondary institutions to arrange partnership agreements and collaborates with Program Managers
and HR to set up practicum placements;
• Uses a variety of volunteer recruitment methods such as networking, advertising, and social media to recruit
volunteers and students annually;
• Develops and maintains professional Association-wide volunteer practices and materials (e.g. volunteer manual,
registration forms) and monitors adherence to all policies and procedures which guide volunteer and student
• Conducts appropriate recruitment, orientation, training, supervision and evaluation of event and administrative
volunteers, including 100+ volunteers who support the Women of Distinction Awards;
• Acts as first point of contact within Association for in-kind donors and exercises discretion regarding acceptance
and/or distribution of donated goods;
• Researches and cultivates relationships with prospective in-kind donors and solicits donations based on assessed
needs within YWCA Toronto programs;
• Acts as agency liaison for the Post-Shelter Bed Program, the in-kind donations department of the United Way, the Food
Rescue Project, ROM Community Access Network (ROMCAN) and Kids Up Front; investigates, analyses, and resolves
any issues with the delivery of donations or program use;
• Manages and organizes volunteer and student information effectively, coordinating and tracking volunteer-related
data (e.g., police check status, contact information, hours of service) and reporting Association-wide volunteer
numbers and hours in a timely manner.
• In depth knowledge of an academic discipline normally acquired through an undergraduate degree in a related field. A
certificate or diploma in Volunteer Management is considered an asset (Cases for Equivalency will be considered);
• 3-5 years directly related experience; work involves application of theoretical knowledge to job-related problems;
• Experience co-ordinating an effective volunteer program, including the recruitment, orientation and recognition of
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize, set and meet deadlines, problem-solve, multitask and work collaboratively and
efficiently to address a wide variety of considerations;
• Demonstrated ability to exercise diplomacy, tact, judgment, confidentiality, and flexibility and to represent the YWCA
Toronto favourably to both internal and external constituents;
• Excellent presentation skills and comfort with public speaking in front of large groups;
• Outstanding interpersonal and leadership skills and the ability to work well with people from diverse background;
• Experience working in a non-profit organization;
• Knowledge of the issues for services to women and girls;
• Superior organizational and administrative skills;
• Excellent communication skills: verbal and written;
• Computer competency in word processing, data entry, spreadsheets and database management software. Working
knowledge of fundraising software an asset (Raiser’s Edge preferred);
• This position requires occasional lifting and incumbent must be able to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 20 lbs.
Note: Restriction on vacation during key events and donor engagement periods.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and résumé to Philanthropyjobs@ywcatoronto.org. Please quote JOB ID number
PHIL0380 and your name in the subject line.
Please note: A vulnerable sector police reference check is required by the successful candidate prior to hiring. YWCA
Toronto is a unionized workplace. Staff are represented by CUPE Local 2189. This position is within the Bargaining Unit.
Please indicate on the email subject line and on your cover letter, if you are an internal candidate. For internal
applicants, this position is not secondable.
YWCA Toronto promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We
encourage applications from women and gender diverse people of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual
YWCA Toronto provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities.
If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those
selected for an interview will be contacted.
YWCA Toronto is a Scent-Sensitive Workplace.
Posting Date: November 16, 2020