Women's Crisis Service of Waterloo Region
Relief Residential Support Workers
We are looking for enthusiastic Relief Residential Support Workers (Assigned/Fixed Shifts)
with the drive to make a difference!
The Company: Women’s Crisis Services of Waterloo Region provides emergency shelter to women and
children fleeing abusive relationships. We operate 2 shelters: Anselma House in Kitchener and Haven
House in Cambridge. Our facilities operate on a 24/7 basis. We believe everyone deserves to live a life
free from abuse.
The Position: We are currently seeking candidates to fill casual relief positions.
Position Overview: The Relief Residential Support Worker supports women and children to move
beyond violence by providing: crisis line support, safety planning, ongoing assessment, emotional
support through one to one and group activities, community referrals/information, discharge planning
and advocacy. Workers help women adapt to communal living and facilitate their transition to
independence. The Relief Residential Support Worker – Assigned/Fixed Shifts will work 20 hours every
other weekend; i.e. Week 1: Saturday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm and Sunday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm; Week 3:
Saturday 12:00 am to 8:00 am and 8:00 pm to 8:00 am. This position may choose to fill additional shifts
What we offer:
- Dynamic workplace culture with a strong sense of team or team based learning
- Opportunity to expand and develop your social work skills
- On site and off site professional development
- Opportunities to participate in various workshops to further develop skills and knowledge on
how to better support women and children
- Leadership Development Program available for staff
- Competitive wages
- BSW and/or MSW from a University of recognized standing. Experience in a related field would
be an asset, or related or relevant degree or diploma from a recognized university and/or
college along with 5 years’ experience in a related field. Recent graduates are encouraged to
- A member in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service
Workers. If not a member, this must be attained during the probationary period.
- Flexibility and priority setting required to deescalate crisis situations and to manage the multiple
demands of the role.
- Experience in providing advocacy, crisis intervention, risk and ongoing assessments would be an
- Knowledge of the effects of all types of abuse on both women and children.
- Have a feminist philosophy.
- Understanding of an anti-racist and anti-oppressive framework.
- Demonstrated sound judgment and the ability to be decisive in crisis situations.
- Strong organizational and time management skills along with the ability to multi-task.
- Current and informed knowledge of multi-cultural issues.
- Current and informed knowledge of the needs of diverse groups of women and children, such as
disability, sexual orientation, survivors of trauma, mental health issues, and addiction issues.
- Experience working with interpreters would be an asset.
- Knowledge of and skills in accessing and utilizing appropriate community resources would be an
- Knowledge of conflict resolution practices and negotiation techniques, as well as the ability to
facilitate meetings, direct situations and implement rules and guidelines.
- Current knowledge of basic criminal and family law, the Child and Family Services Act and
related legal issues and resources.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and verbal and written communication skills.
- Foreign language skills would be an asset.
- Proficient in the use of computer software.
- Current First Aid/CPR Certificate would be an asset.
- Valid driver’s license, valid and sufficient insurance coverage and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Vulnerable Sector Criminal Reference Check.
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources Manager
700 Heritage Drive
Kitchener, ON N2A3N9
Women’s Crisis Services of Waterloo Region is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive
workforce. If you require accommodation, please let us know at the time you are contacted for an
interview. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only applicants selected for an interview
will be contacted.