Posted on Oct 17, 2020
YWCA Toronto transforms lives. As the city’s largest multi-service women’s organization, we help women escape
violence, move out of poverty and access safe, affordable housing.
We work tenaciously to break down barriers that hold women back from achieving equality.
Internal and External Job Posting
(2 Positions Available)
JOB ID: ARIS0364
Employment Type: Relief
Work Hours: Varied, as needed
Salary: $15 per hour
Location: Confidential Address – Downtown Toronto
Application Deadline: Monday, October 26, 2020
JOIN OUR TEAM
YWCA Toronto strives to uphold anti-discrimination practices and anti-oppression principles to ensure
that the rights of all individuals are respected and protected. We work to promote a climate that is
welcoming of all women and individuals who identify as trans, intersex, non-binary, agender, and/or
Two-Spirit. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people from all races, ethnic
origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
The Relief Cleaner is responsible for cleaning common areas at YWCA Arise and for preparing rooms for
occupancy in the absence of the fulltime Cleaner.
ABOUT YWCA TORONTO – YWCA ARISE
YWCA Arise is a twenty-four hour staffed emergency shelter that proves safe refuge, crisis counselling,
and specialized support to abused women and their children who are fleeing violence.
• Cleans all common areas, emptying the wastebaskets, dusting furniture and wiping all surfaces
• Cleans the front door, sweeps the front steps and clears debris from the front entrance of the
• Sweeps or vacuums and washes floors, walls, stairs and stairwells;
• Clean empty bedrooms including: wipe mattress, all surfaces with disinfectant, vacuum and clean
out any remaining belongings and garbage;
• Cleans and disinfects washrooms and laundry room;
• May be required to assist with spring cleaning and inventory (e.g. washes windows from inside, washes
• Receives stock and places in appropriate storage area;
• Assists with moving equipment, supplies and furniture as required;
• Assists with garbage and recycling removal;
• Ensures tasks are performed in compliance with WHMIS and other legislated requirements
including the Health and Safety Act;
• Reports all illnesses or disturbances from residents, as well as any vandalism or other emergencies
to the supervisor filling out an incident report if required;
• Performs other duties, as required.
• A generalized education at high-school level (Cases for Equivalency will be considered);
• 1 to 3 years directly related experience;
• Knowledge of cleaning products and their use;
• Ability to work independently;
• Ability to lift 15 kg and bend to perform duties safely;
• Ability to use a ladder to reach high places;
• Completion of WHMIS training;
• Ability to interact in a respectful and professional manner with a diverse community of women and
young women within shelter and housing environments;
• Understanding and ability to maintain confidentiality;
• Experience working in a residential setting an asset.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and résumé to: Nicola Holness, Manager of YWCA Arise at
Please quote JOB ID number ARIS0364 and your name in the subject line.
Please note: A vulnerable sector police reference check is required by the successful candidate prior to
hiring. YWCA Toronto is a unionized workplace. Staff are represented by CUPE Local 2189. These
positions are not within the Bargaining Unit.
YWCA Toronto promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human
Rights Code. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people of all races, ethnic origins,
religions, abilities and sexual orientations.YWCA Toronto provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to
applicants with disabilities. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation. While we
thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
YWCA Toronto is a Scent-Sensitive Workplace.
Posting date: October 15, 2020