Family Transition Place is hiring a
Reisdential Counsellor: 1 Year Contract
Under the direction of the Residential Program Manager, a Residential Counsellor is responsible for the operation of a 24 hour Emergency Shelter for women and their children who have experienced abuse.
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing supportive counselling, information and referral to appropriate legal, medical and housing services, and other community resources
- Responding appropriately on the crisis telephone line, text messages and walk-ins
- Completion of administrative tasks i.e. record keeping, intake procedures, reports, data entry
- Routine maintenance and security procedures
Qualifications and Core Competencies:
- Post-Secondary Education in the Social Service field or equivalent experience and specialized training
- Registered or eligible for registration with OCSWSSW
- Knowledge of violence against women and children issues, mental health issues, addictions and homelessness
- Feminist / ARAO/ Intersectionality working perspective
- Interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Crisis intervention and problem solving skills
- Advanced knowledge of community resources and how to access them
- Strong supportive and non-judgemental listening, empathy and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of residential facility management
- Communication and report writing skills
- Organizational skills and the ability to prioritize
- Ability to work both cooperatively as a team member and independently
- Skill in the use of a personal computer for word processing
- Police Vulnerable Sector Check
- Proof of valid Ontario Driver's Licence and automobile insurance
Hours of Work: A rotating schedule of day, evening, and weekend shifts.
Family Transition Place is dedicated to achieving a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates.
Please forward your resume by 9:00 am Wednesday, January 23, 2019:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 519-942-8243 Mail: Family Transition Place 20 Bredin Parkway Orangeville, ON L9W 4Z9
We thank all applicants, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.