Our Mission is to provide shelter, support, counselling and advocacy to help abused women and their children to break the cycle of violence. We are a woman centered, anti-racist, anti-oppressive, nonprofit organization serving the diverse population of the Region of Peel. Interim Place operates two emergency shelters for women and children who are leaving abuse. We also operate a Community Support and Outreach Program (THSP) for women in the community who have experienced violence. Interim Place is a community-based feminist women's organization committed to social justice and anti-oppression.
We require Relief Women's Counsellor /Advocates Position to assist in the support to women and their children who have experienced and/or are experiencing violence and provide support, programs and services to women and children who are residents of the shelter.
- Provides crisis support and counselling.
- Completes intake and assessment.
- Completes Risk Assessment and Safety Planning.
- Provides transition planning and assistance (from home to shelter, shelter to community; shelter to shelter).
- Provides information and referral to community supports and services i.e. government agencies; court services; etc.
- Provides practical support in accessing information and resources.
- Co-facilitation of support groups from women impacted by violence.
- Attends all staff meetings and training sessions as assigned.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of the systemic barriers experienced by women and the intersectionality's of oppressions i.e. Social Housing Reform Act; Mental Health Act; Landlord Tenant Act; O.W. Act, ODSP Act, etc.
- Maintains appropriate and accurate file documentation and uphold the confidentiality of client's file, subject to legal and policy parameters.
- Utilizes computer software including case management database system and Microsoft applications as required.
- Adheres to all health and safety policies and procedures as outlined by the organization to minimize risk.
- Performs other duties as assigned for the effective operation of Interim Place.
- University or college education in a related field, such as Aboriginal Studies, Gender and Women's Studies, Sociology, Social Justice, Assaulted Women and Children's Program or the equivalent in education and extensive experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to women's and children's issues and working within a Critical Race. Feminist, Anti-Black Racism and Anti-Colonialism framework.
- Experience in working with women in areas such as poverty, violence, and homelessness.
- Proven ability in case management and supportive counselling skills from a decolonizing approach.
- Strong Knowledge and experience with Harm Reduction Strategies.
- Demonstrated experience in crisis support and ability to mediate conflict.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Processional communication skills; dedicated to team building.
- Able to manage many conflicting priorities simultaneously with the ability to prioritize. ASL is an asset.
- G2 Driver's License preferred.
- Ability to work rotating shifts such as days, evenings, overnights both during the week, weekends, statutory holidays and short notice shifts.
Hours: Rotating shifts: Week, weekend Days, Evenings, Overnights and Statutory Holidays
Interim Place is committed to the development of an organization that reflects the community and women it serves. Applications from Indigenous Women, World Majority Women/Women of Colour, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Queer Women, Consumer Survivors and Women with Disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Please send a letter of application and current resume to Human Resources, Interim Place via email at email@example.com. Interim Place is a unionized workplace with OPSEU. This position is within the bargaining unit and as such the terms and conditions of employment are in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
Date of Posting: January 8th 2019
Deadline: January 22nd 2019