Nova Vita is hiring a Finance/Human Resources Coordinator, Permanent Full-time
Date Posted October 9, 2018
Start Date As soon as possible
Immediate Supervisor Director of Operations
Wage Range Commensurate with experience
Nova Vita's Mission is to provide holistic client-centered residential and counselling services to abused and homeless women and their children and counselling services to the perpetrators of domestic violence in Brantford and Brant County. Nova Vita is a registered charity and operates a 33 bed emergency shelter and offers extensive counselling for women, children and men. Please visit novavita.org to learn more about the organization.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Finance/Human Resources Coordinator is responsible for ensuring accurate and up-to-date financial records required for internal and external reporting as well as assisting with the development of annual budgets. This position is also responsible for coordinating the human resources function. The successful candidate will be an exceptionally organized independent thinker who thrives in a busy team environment.
- Develop and maintain timely and accurate monthly financial reports Prepare financial reports for Government funders and other grants as required
- Develop and maintain full cycle financial accounting systems for project management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll
- General account reconciliations in general ledger
- Ensure compliance with CRA filings and other regulatory bodies, the Charitable tax return and other government financial reporting and remittances
- Assist with the annual audit
- Assist with the development of the annual operating budget
- Find, recommend and implement improvements and efficiencies to current practices and systems
- Other duties as required
- Ensure tracking and completion of all new hire onboarding documentation, files and training
- Ensure completion of all employee files and assisting with the handling and protection of sensitive and confidential documentation and correspondence
- Assist with processing of bi-weekly payroll on online system (Payworks)
- Maintain employee information changes in online system and ensure corresponding documentation is filed and tracked in a timely manner
- Administer the employee benefit plan including tracking employee eligibility and collecting and processing all benefit plan paperwork
- Support management with other initiatives such as agency orientations
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in a finance-related field, or college diploma in a related field with experience
- Professional accounting designation is an asset
- Three years of experience in A/R, A/P, and payroll
- Three years of accounting and reporting experience, preferably within the non-profit sector
- Three years of experience with budget preparation and analysis
- Experience in human resources is an asset
Skills and Competencies
- Strong analytical skills with experience in general ledger account reconciliation
- Outstanding attention to detail and organizational skills
- Solid knowledge of GAAP
- Demonstrated capabilities and track record with financial and accounting management
- Knowledge of employment standards, payroll legislation and payroll systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to change
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within a team environment
- Strong planning and critical thinking skills and attention to detail
- Ability to set and manage competing priorities
- Demonstrated self-starter with a high level of energy and motivation
- Ability to work through complex issues independently
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and accounting software with excellent excel skills and the proven ability to learn and adapt to new software and other technology
- A proven track record of exercising sound business judgment on day-to-day organizational matters, including human resource coordination and prioritization
- Ability to manage stress while working in a multifaceted environment preparing reports, dealing with various levels of staff and being organized and focused on meeting deadline expectations.
This is a 37.5 hours per week position working Monday – Friday. Nova Vita offers a competitive wage as well as an extended benefits package, an employee assistance program, paid sick and personal days and an RRSP contribution.
The successful applicant will need to submit a Vulnerable Sector Screening and Criminal Reference police check.
If you require accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process, please notify us to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation. Nova Vita is an equal opportunity employer and strives to be reflective and inclusive of the communities we serve. We encourage individuals who identify as Indigenous, racialized, immigrant, LGBTQ+, or disAbled to apply.
We appreciate your interest in this employment opportunity, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested and qualified applicants should submit a covering letter and resume along with wage expectations via email with subject line "Application for Finance/HR Coordinator" to:
Nova Vita Domestic Violence Prevention Services
Attention: Lynda Taylor
No phone calls please.