Residential Counsellor – Relief
Anova (formerly Women’s Community House / Sexual Assault Centre London) is a leading edge not-for-profit organization operating within a feminist model in London, Ontario. Anova is dedicated to meeting the needs of those impacted by abuse and sexual violence in our community by offering shelter, advocacy, support and education.
The Relief Residential Counsellor helps to ensure the safety and security of the families living in the shelters of Anova. They provide crisis intervention (via telephone and in-person) within the residential setting. They apply an understanding of the impact of violence and abuse on the women and children, in order to meet the needs of the families in shelter.
The successful candidate will have:
- Degree in Social Work or related field
- Registration as a member in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Services Workers is preferred
- A feminist perspective and knowledge of the political, social, medical, housing and legal issues affecting women and their children
- A commitment and passion for providing services to a diverse client base and marginalized populations
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Understanding of and commitment to working from a Trauma and Violence Informed perspective
- An understanding of and commitment to working within a Harm Reduction model
- A proven client-centered approach that addresses the holistic need of all through relational practice
- Knowledge of and commitment to working within an anti-oppressive and inclusive framework
- Understanding of the diverse needs of the families we serve such as: mental health and substance use
- Knowledge of the effects of violence and abuse on women and children
- Cross cultural perspective and awareness; second language is an asset
- Strong computer skills in a Word, Excel
- Current First Aid including CPR certification
Position Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for preliminary and ongoing assessment to identify client needs
- Providing safety planning for residents and those calling through the helpline
- Facilitate supportive, non-judgemental counselling sessions, including using language interpreters for non-English speaking clients
- Offer crisis intervention, advocacy and assistance to residents in developing support plans that address safety and emotional needs, self-care, legal, financial, housing and other needs.
- Facilitation of groups for residents on a variety of topics related to their current needs
- Performing regular security checks and ensuring shelter maintenance is current and safe
- Provide appropriate referrals and information to residents
- Maintain a current awareness of issues facing the families we serve
- Participate in case planning meetings to facilitate communication and goals set by the residents
- Promote and maintain a relational and supportive association among clients, staff and volunteers
- Provide mentoring and feedback to students on placement
Please forward your cover letter and resume (one document in WORD format if possible), to email@example.com by 9am Monday May 29, 2017. Please place the words Relief Counsellor in the heading.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs known if contacted for an interview.
We welcome applications from all those that are qualified, reflecting the diversity of our community.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Candidates selected for interviews will be contacted shortly after the closing date. Information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of candidate selection.